Sunday, October 17, 2010

Terrible Timp Hike

Ever had one of those hikes that you just can't find something good to say about it, except "At least I went" ? That was My attempted Timp Hike. First off Timp isn't my favorite hike, it's crowded, I've done it various times, and the first time I hiked it my dad dislocated his shoulder and we ran down in an hour. I was 8, it was not fun.  However, my two brothers and I decided, after much encouragement from Sasquatch, to hike it early Saturday morning. It wasn't a good start as we left at 3:30 and I didn't fall asleep until 2.  I just wasn't feeling well.


We began at a fast pace, we tend to hike fast, faster. Our goal was to finish it in 5 and 1/2 hours. We all hike, bike and workout frequently, so it was achievable. I was a little tired but just thought it was from a lack of sleep. Arriving at the first step, I was really feeling it, breathing hard and sweating, but just attributed it to the altitude. By the second step I was having trouble keeping up, and began feeling nauseous. Mid-way to the third step, the big valley where the shack is, I couldn't keep up at all and was feeling terrible. I sat to rest and when I started again felt like I was going to throw up and began to shiver.


Now understand, I never get cold. It was below 30 degrees, but I was dressed well and still shivering. I shouted that I was going back, they should keep going  and I would just lay in the back of the truck until they got back. It took me longer to get down than up. I spent about an hour laying in the dirt by the side of the trail. It took me four hours to go 11 miles.
The pictures were all taken on the way down, it wasn't that light, but I was bored.  Arriving at the truck I laid in the back,shivering, on the dog bed, for  an hour and a half until they got back. Driving down the canyon I never stopped shivering.

Arriving home I couldn't get warm, hot tub, blankets, nothing worked and I was having serious, shall we say "stomach problems". Turns out I had a fever of over 102 degrees. Now I associate the Timp hike with all that is horrible.

I will probably never do it again.

Actually, I'm sure I will.

I'm just that way, you can't let a trail beat you.

Why did I share this? Because I still feel lousy and I'm bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment