Tuesday, May 29, 2012

SUNDANCE SUPER (mud)D(y) Mess

This year Guthrie is getting more into racing (In other words he rides fast everywhere and I play catch up). The Utah Gravity series' first race was being held on the Sundance trail system  at 5:30 PM.

Around ten that morning we arrived to pre-ride the course, which we did, twice. The trail was fairly smooth, very twisty, and actually a blast to ride. 

Around 12 it started raining, then dumping. It was as if the heavens opened and in a scene perhaps only re-created during Noah's flood, the skies opened and a river poured out.  Riders ran for cover and we all tentatively stood underneath what little cover there was and waited. 
Realizing our situation was only worsening, we questioned whether the race would still be held, and when they answered affirmatively, returned home for some hot chocolate, a change of clothes and then came back around three...it was still raining, only lightly.

The race sponsors were still running the race and so I offered to pre-ride the course.  It was snowing and windy at the top. 


Within the first 20 feet of singletrack I was carrying my bike. I wrestled it to the road and instead descended down the grassy runs to the trails near the bottom that weren't as muddy. 

This was taken after one ride. Even my pink (yes, I-get-comments-but-they-were-on-clearance) glasses wouldn't stay on straight. 

Now, I know some are thinking, you never ride muddy trails...however, sundance was still running the race and others were out there riding, walking wrestling their bikes down too. 



My second run down (Yes, I did it again.  I figured it was still biking and I chose my trails more carefully) I saw Guthrie heading to the top on the chair lift. When he exited the  lift the attendants informed him the race was cancelled. Apparently they couldn't get the trucks to the top with the timing material...it was too muddy...genius.

So we hosed off our bikes and left.  The race was moved to this Saturday...sunny and 89 degrees. 

In retrospect, even with the mud, rain and Hail, we still got to ride

...one trail at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment